Our customers often seek to prevent ingress of moisture and particles into SMA jack connectors. The applications range from splash proof, up to fully submersed underwater.
Working hand in hand with customers, GradConn developed a waterproof SMA jack connector. The Nautilus range of coaxial connectors offers IP67 & IP68 testing to 5 meters depth. Testing also extends to particle ingress IP6x and pressure.
The image above shows the point of entry for water ingress when the connector is mounted in a panel. The ‘problem’ section shows water ingress through the center contact and also thru the panel cutout.
The two ‘solution’ images show waterproofing of SMA connectors:
- Rear mount SMA waterproof connector solution:
- This is the most popular type of SMA, with the washer and nut screwing up on the outside of the panel. The Nautilus solution contains both an external and internal O-Ring to prevent ingress.
- Front mount SMA waterproof connector solution:
- Using this type of connector allows the panel to be effectively tamper proof, as the washer and nut are tightened inside the panel.
A range of other Nautilus waterproof connector types are available, such as RP SMA, BNC, TNC and RP TNC. Front and rear mount options are available, an example of front mount and rear mount is shown in the image above.
Got to http://www.gradconn.com/Products/IP-Rated-Coaxial-Cable-Assemblies to browse existing cable assemblies, build a custom cable and download detailed test data.
GradConn has recently announced the release of a new range of Nautilus panel mounted waterproof coaxial cable assemblies which offer IP67 & IP68 protection from moisture and particle ingress mated and unmated.
Working in conjunction with customers, GradConn developed a range of waterproof interface connectors with internal seal and O-Ring to IP67 & IP68, which prevents ingress thru the inner contact and thru the panel. The connectors have been tested to IP6x, IPx7, IPx8 for both 1 metre and 5 metres underwater, all certified test data is online here.
Nautilus connectors available are SMA front and rear mount, RP SMA, TNC, RP-TNC & BNC. GradConn offer cable assemblies for a huge variety of coax connectors, specialising in Micro coax types such as Hirose, Murata, I-Pex & Sunridge.
Many Nautilus cable assembly drawings are online, however if the option you require is not, then use GradConn’s online coaxial cable builder to quickly enquire on exactly what you need. MOQ’s are low and prices reasonable.
Andy Hamlin, Sales Manager at GradConn commented. “The Nautilus range is exciting for GradConn, we’ve worked closely with customers to develop this range. After exhaustive testing we’re confident the products can meet and exceed our customer’s requirement for waterproof applications”.
Click here to see the full range of IP67 coaxial cable assembly or contact your local GradConn sales office now.
GradConn offer a suite of products to help our customers connect their products to the world. The demand for connectivity between devices and the desire for slimmer, lighter and more portable devices is driving the connector industry to offer ever smaller solutions. GradConn are at the forefront of these innovations and have an exciting line-up of super – miniature products with a perfect synergy for device to device connectivity. Here are some examples –
If you’re designing a smart device, space is at a premium then visit www.gradconn.com to see our shrinking solutions for a connected world see the full range of products for a connected world or contact your local GradConn sales office now.
GradConn launches low cost coaxial test probe cable assemblies
In line with its strategy for new product development GradConn has launched a new range of low cost coaxial test probe cable assemblies for the inspection of high frequency circuits.
Suitable for testing Hirose MS-156 and Murata MM8030 sub miniature coaxial switch connectors, the new probes offer reliable testing of RF circuits from development thru to final production. For Hirose PCB connectors the test probe cable assemblies have a mating test cycle durability of 500 operations and 2,000 with Murata.
GradConn’s cable assemblies are perfect for testing high frequency coaxial switches in a manufacturing environment. Standard cable assemblies come with SMA jack connectors for plugging to test equipment; other coaxial interface connectors are available upon request. Customers may specify test probe orientation and cable length to improve ergonomics for operators.
Coaxial switch products are used in applications such as cell phone, smartphone, WLAN/WiMax/UWB, Bluetooth, Zigbee, cordless phones, GPS/DVH-H, microwave measurement equipment and microwave radio equipment applications.
Cables are fully tested and produced in an ISO 9001:2008 environment, ensuring you receive consistently high quality cable assemblies.
Visit www.gradconn.com to see the full range of products or contact your local GradConn sales office now for design advice.
A Flexible Approach to coaxial cable assemblies
Problem: Our customer was having trouble routing their coaxial cable assembly inside an enclosure. The existing 1.32mm diameter cable had a tendency to flex out of position, whilst the hot melt glue used to hold the cable in place was setting. This resulted in the operator have to reposition several times, which slowed down processing time and in some cases, damaged the cable assembly, proving costly and problematic for the customer.
Solution: We made the same assembly using 1.32mm Ø double-braided cable, see Cable 158. One of the benefits of selecting double braided cable is that it’s more pliable to work with. The cable stays formed in the shape it’s bent, rather than springing back into position. This means the operator can install effectively first time, every time. When you consider that the double braided cable also offers enhanced shielding effectiveness in comparison to the standard single braid 1.32mm Ø cable this option has several benefits.
If you need application advice and help with coaxial cable assemblies please contact GradConn, we offer a flexible approach to coaxial cable assemblies.
GradConn offer a wide range of connectors for asset tracking and remote monitoring applications. Rapid advances in both wireless and mobile technology have seen costs fall significantly and the range of possible applications expand. Applications are interesting and in some cases tell a story about the changing relationship between our society and technology. Gradconn offers a wide range Board to Board connectors, SIM card connectors, including Micro SIM and RF Coaxial cable assemblies. GradConn connectors have been designed into applications as diverse as:
- Wireless monitoring of vending machines, cuts out need for unnecessary service calls such as when machines run out of change or products.
- Pest control devices. Cutting out unnecessary service calls and monitoring for example when triggered an employee could clean up dead vermin, alternatively technology might monitor when a colony becomes active and take the appropriated action.
- Security bracelets for both Children and the Elderly:
- Elderly – Neck pendants warn of accidents, allowing more independent living. If out and about a person is able to summon assistance. So for the example of a person suffering dizzy spells too scared to go out, this technology can be empowering and confidence building.
- Children – GPS tracking device normally built into a watch – Allows parents to see the child’s current location. Designated safe zones such as home or school can be set.
- Offender monitoring – Electronic tags for prisoners released on licence to ensure bail conditions are not broken, monitors curfew, location and automatically check visits to a particular location, such as a police station have been completed and logged.
- Agricultural products to measure micro climates and watering requirements. This technology allows conservation of water by automatically controlling irrigation. Another example is temperature monitoring to protect from frost damage. These technologies reduce costs and increase yields.
- Livestock monitoring- Animals are tagged and tracking for safety and/or shepherding purposes. Examples of monitoring applications are: Data from animals provides information on breeding cycles and flags potentially sick animals.
- Remote asset monitoring, for example monitoring the condition of structure of buildings bridges, tunnels, etc. This type of monitoring supersedes the need for weekly visual inspections which are expensive and potentially dangerous.
If you’re looking for connectors for asset tracking and remote monitoring then please contact GradConn.
Home automation is rapidly evolving from a luxury few people could afford into a technology for mass consumption that will be in most homes within a few years. The global home automation market is growing at over 30% a year and expected to be worth US$9.5 billion globally in 2015.
Technology advancement and innovation represents the key driving factor for the growth of the home automation market. Demand is growing for cost efficient wireless home automation products to reduce installation and maintenance cost. Wireless technologies such as Z-wave, Zigbee, and EnOcean are seen as the way to achieve this.
GradConn’s range of board to board connectors, SIM card connectors and RF Coaxial Cable assemblies have been used by a number of the leading manufacturers in Home Automation. Our products can be found in main control units and in components through the system.
Short-range wireless technology controls the wireless system around the home via the control panel, however remote control elements allow consumers to access their home devices while away from home by use of a smart phone. This communication is handled by the mobile phone/GSM network, for example switching on an oven remotely so your dinner is cooked as you walk through the door or setting the to the correct temperature heating to ensure your house is warm when you return home. Alarm systems can contact your phone by text message when triggered.
GradConn offer connectors for home automation applications. SIM connectors and coax cables enable the link between communication modules and the GSM network. The SIM card stores the required phone details for the control panel to interface your smartphone. GradConn offer Mini & Micro SIM card connectors in many configurations including push-push, push-pull, hinged and open contact types.
If an external antenna is required, it will be necessary to break through a bulkhead of the control unit and a coaxial cable assembly is needed. This mates with PCB board of the communication module (using a tiny RF connector PCB plug and cable socket such as Hirose U.FL) and by the use of a bulkhead mount RF connector, such as SMA allow plugging to an antenna with appropriate connector interface. GradConn offer a wide variety of coaxial cable assembly options.
Fine pitch Board to board connectors are generally used in control panels as they allow ultra slim connections either in parallel PCB mating with a mated height of just 3.1mm. Alternatively where customers require end-to-end PCB mating, the height above the PCB is a tiny 1.5mm. Use GradConn’s PCB mating tools to find the perfect solution for your connector design.